Sunday, December 08, 2019

Getting there

Only 2 weeks or so until the big day!

I remember something that happened around this time of year.
I got a call to go to the embassy of Saudi Arabia.
No problem at all.
Except there was an unmerciful clap of thunder and it lashed rain, traffic came to a standstill.
I kept going and 20 minutes later I arrived there and a guy came out and got into the car.
He had an attitude and screamed blue murder into my face.
I told him to get out, he got more abusive and I told him that I would call the Garda.
"I have diplomatic immunity"
was his reply.
I am not a violent man but I took out my baton and before I struck him I said.
"Your mother would be very sad to see you being so abusive to me"
He jumped back "Oh I am so sorry, I am not well, so much stress! 
Please forgive me"
So the journey began.
I told him that he was the biggest jerk I had ever met in my life, he was sorry.

So I had an idea.

"You guys will not be celebrating Christmas, but I have a suggestion for you.
You guys love horses.
There is a Christmas race meeting in Leopardstown race track.
Book a box, bring your friends, have a Saudi chef there and a musician to play your music.
You can bring your friends out on different days and have a hell of a Christmas" 
He took the details and asked for my phone number, so I gave him your number.

Years later I got a lift to the embassy and I told my passenger the tale. 

"Come into the embassy and put your finger on his picture and he will be on the next flight back to Saudi tonight. 
I am charge de fer of the embassy." 

I told him no. That he was distressed on that day and I had really taught him a lesson.

Good man John (My ID is there for all to see)

I know who it is, we have gone to the races every year since then.

Perhaps I will go there this year myself. 

Weather permitting 

Just a thought

Is God away on business ?



No comments:

Post a Comment