Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Valentines day massacre

 This year it is 41 years since the disaster struck Dublin. 

Young people turned up to a dance in the Stardust ballroom.

A fire broke out and the fire doors were padlocked shut 200 kids were injured and 48 were killed.

The owners of the ballroom were well connected and they got compensation for the damage to their property.

No jail time or massive fines for them. For the survivors it has been a lifetime of pain.

A few years ago I was in Blackpool at a magic convention and a lecture was being held in one of the ballrooms. A few thousand in one giant room. When I went in I was in shock. No gangways and all the fire escapes were blocked because of building work. I had to go, though I wanted to see the lecture.

When I got back to Dublin I rang the police in Blackpool and was greeted with "This is not our job"

I said that she should ask someone to tell her about the Stardust disaster and that I have told you and if you don't follow it up it will be your problem.

The next year there were at least 3 fire safety officers going around.

I have been in many places where the fire doors are blocked with beer cases and rubbish.

Sometimes I make a call.You never know.

1 comment: