Sunday, October 01, 2006

Stickers for everyone

This week most taxi drivers got a big white registered letter. There was 4 stickers inside.
One for each back window. one for the back of the sun visor and another telling the passinger that the information will be found on the back. Yes the new taxi fares have kicked in and with the three levels of fares..which also applies to time it is better. www.taxiregulator.ie for more.
My second lift on Monday was out to Tallagh from the centre ,wait for 1/2 hour and back to Caple St., e65. I know that on the old system you would have been lucky to get e50.
I will keep my head down and see how it goes..In Paris they have a similar system but the airport pickup charge and luggage charges still apply.
As for the airport..www.daa.ie. The DAA will be charging taxis e500 per year to pick up at the airport,,as I will be losing the e1.50 pick up charge and the baggage charge any time I pick up there.(remember airlines charge customers for baggage) I will not be going out any more. The DAA should realise that they need us and they need us more than we need them.
Teenagers, my work has been suffering because of my youngest. He plays the drums and needs to be collected from here and brought there, then back home again. It is eating into my working time, still if he makes the big time he says he will buy me a farrari taxi !
Still if I drive carefully I will pick up the lost hours another day.I had 2 near misses with a bus and later a car going through red lights.. UnmarkedCop cars, Turn on your lights especially if you dont have a blue flasher. They come from nowhere and the new sirens seem to come from every direction.It is a bad design fault.
Two cyclists were killed here in the city last week. Now I am not saying that any party was at fault,or am I saying that all cyclists break the lights, weave through traffic. Worst of all is coming allongside artic trucks then positioning themselves right at their front bumper.
There is a huge blind spot directly in front of a big truck(as long as 12 ft).
If the cyclist misses the lights by one secone 200 horse power and fifty tons of weight will not be stopped by the cycle.
I would like to see two Garda put on duty at traffic lights for six months. Everyone who breaks the lights should be fined e30 on the spot,if they dont have the cash then the bikes will be confiscated until they do pay. The brakes shoukd also be checked.You would not go through a red(Traffic) light in Amsterdam.The other red light should not stop for.

2 comments:

  1. God, don't get me started on cyclists. Here in Eugene, listed as the third most bike-friendly city in America, they think they are impervious to auto injury. I've witnessed that one proven wrong MANY times. I've probably come within inches or milliseconds of taking them out maybe 20 times in the last 7 years of cabbing. Damn my quick reflexes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:28 PM

    First of all I would like to say awesome blog! I had a quick question in which
    I'd like to ask if you do not mind. I was interested to know how you center yourself and clear your thoughts prior to writing. I've had a hard time clearing my thoughts in getting my ideas out.
    I truly do enjoy writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are generally lost just trying to figure out how to begin.
    Any suggestions or hints? Kudos!
    Also see my page: dr oz green coffee

    ReplyDelete