Sunday, June 02, 2019

Cars Cars and more cars









I dropped off a job on Shelbourne Rd the other day and I spotted the Mercedes car above in the window of the MSL garage. I saw a parking space and went in to have a goo.

The last time I was in that garage I was trying to take a photo of a vintage car in the showroom and I was brought in by a man.
"Are you mad! you can't take a photo through the glass.
Do you know anything about this car?
I'll get the keys"
Coming back with the keys he said 
"Any time you are passing please by come in.
Tell one of those lazey boys to get the keys.
They don't know that a person dressed like you could most likely be rich !
But we both know that you are a man of good taste."
He turned out to be Nigel O'Flaherty the founders son.
He has died since then.
A driver went in there many years ago.
His parents had died and the family home was sold and he had cash for a treat.
As he walked into the showroom a salesman walked over to him and told him to turn around and walk straight back out again as he only wante to waste their time as  he couldn't afford anything in the garage.
I have no doubt if this story had reached management the salesman would have been out the door first.

When I was going out I spoke  to a guy at the desk and asked him if he had met the other great car dealer that I met in the taxi.
Arnold Clarke (Google him)
No Never heard of him.
Starting off with £70 he bought a second hand car and refurbished it.
He sold it and with the help of his dad he went on to be the biggest car dealer in Europe with a turnover of £3 billion in the year I met him. He sold 270,000 cars that year.
Getting out at Brown Thomas I directed him to Louis Copland as I thought that BT staff were a bit aloof. "Come on Dad, we'll buy you a new coat"said his daughter
"I don't need a new coat, I have 2 coats at home"
"Dad its very cold and you didn't bring a coat"
"It looks like were buying a coat"
He turned to me and put €20 into my hand
I said that it was only €10
"John its €10 for et fare and €10 for et tip"
Off he went Sadly he died a year later.

I read a quote from him today.
"I had no choice but to go into business for myself
It was Hobsons choice
No one would give me a job."

So there you have it.
The great ones walk among us.


No comments:

Post a Comment