Thursday, December 21, 2023

story never told

When I drifted into this game things were different. There was a huge shortage of taxis and you could rent one on a part time basis. After I passed the PSV test I went looking for someone who was renting a taxi out at night time. The conditions and the cost nearly put me off.

Someone  suggested that I could have my own car passed out and a radio company called Metro would install a radio and this is how the work would come. As far as it went it worked well.

One night just before Christmas I got a call to go to Crumlin children's hospital accident and emergency and ask for a doctor by name. A young couple came out and they were in bits. Rafters road was the destination. Their 9 month baby had died. She just got sick and by the time help came the little girl had slipped too far and died.

The doctor had forbidden them to drive home, now the problem arose that they would be stranded in the morning. I said that I would go back to the hospital and bring the car home for them. They gave me the keys and I walked down the road where I caught a taxi. I told the driver the sad story and I got the ride for nothing. A real gentleman. I used the remote car key to find the car and then I drove it back to Crumlin. I parked the car and popped the keys through the letter box and went home. I never was paid money for the job but at this time of year I feel their prayers.

I never even told my wife but Metro cabs did not charge me for the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment